Daniel Lepage on Fri, 14 Dec 2007 20:46:45 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] the Pause

I don't know who defined the current era boundaries, but they all
coincide with very major overhauls to the mechanics of the game.
Personally, I think the current definitions are missing an Era
boundary. The way I'd define them:

Era 1 lasts from the founding of the game until Dave's retirement as
Administrator. This was followed by general chaos before we managed to
get things going again.

The Second Era was the turbulent period when we tried various
administrative styles, starting with me being a player and the Admin
at the same time and ending with a Wiki and hierarchy of Ministers
much like the present system. Also, throughout that period we proposed
away virtually all of the old rules, and rewrote the few that were left.

The Second Era ended when bnomic.org crashed, and we rewrote the rules
completely (for the second time). Thus began the Third Era.

After several lapses into nonactivity and bursts of temporary glory,
the game pretty much petered out in 2006. After more than five months
of virtually nothing happening, we started back up and reset a lot of
the rules.

This is the Fourth Era, and it is The Now.

Whoever defined the current eras, IMHO, missed the change from the
first to the second. It wasn't quite as epic as the others, in the
sense that we didn't completely change everything overnight, but it
was definitely very different from the First and Third Eras, and so
deserves to be its own Era.

Anyway, my point is that Era boundaries are reserved for complete
overhauls of the game. Merely resetting points is nothing special (in
fact, it's happened multiple times in almost every Era, including once
when almost every numerical property of each player was changed to an
indeterminate value. Dave and Antonio will probably remember DimShips.).

--
Wonko