Justin Ahmann on Wed, 12 Dec 2007 14:15:11 -0700 (MST)

[s-d] A Solution?

What about this?

1. We come up with new Rules 0 and 1-10, fixing their ambiguities and other problems.

2. I implement the changes.

3. I repeal my dictatorship.

4. Meanwhile, people who disagree with my status as Grand Chancellor can pass a Refresh Proposal setting the gamestate to what it would be if I did become Grand Chancellor and 2 and 3 happened.  (I am assuming we are still in an Emergency.)

As I see it, the main problem is not that I may or may not be Grand Chancellor of B, but that Rule 1-10 is not working.  Based on comex's summary of Potential Gamestates:

Gamestate 1: Declarations of invalidity violate the Temporal Prime Directive.  I don't see how this prevents my acession, however.

Gamestate 2a: A Game Action can be undone within 1 nday. I think I've been using this interpretation.

Gamestate 2b: A Game Action takes effect 1 nday after its announcement, unless it is declared invalid.

The two possibilities below:

In the first one, I again fail to see why I'm not dictator.  I am not dictator through declaring actions invalid; I am dictator through changing the gamestate in a way that, based on this interpretation, is not even a Game Action.  Thus, comex's (I think they were comex's) declarations of invalidity were not just invalid, but illegal/ineffective.

In the second, I again fail to see how I am not Grand Chancellor.  Of course, this interpretation makes BobTHJ/Billy Pilgrim's addendum to Rule 1-10 totally useless.

I suggest the following changes/additions to the ruleset (Note that they are not fully polished and formalized):

A Game Action is defined as any action that changes the gamestate.

An External Force attempts to take a Game Action by announcing to a Public Forum that he takes or is taking said Game Action.  If said Game Action does not become Invalid, it is taken.

An External Force can only take a Game Action if explicitly allowed by the Ruleset.  If an External Force (henceforth the Actor) attempts to take a Game Action not so allowed by the Ruleset, a Player may point this fact out.  If the Actor fails to present a Rule allowing said Game Action as of the time the Actor attempted it within 1 nday, said Game Action becomes Invalid. [[It may be in dispute as to whether the Rule does, in fact, allow said Game Action.  If so, a Consultation is suggested.  External Forces are encouraged to refrain from attempting to take Game Actions whose validity hinges on the validity of said Game Action.]]

The Grand Chancellor of B