comex on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:16:54 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] The wiki

On Tuesday 11 December 2007, Josiah Worcester wrote:
> I note that, before his Chancellorship's rise to power, there were no
> rules preventing him from changing the game state *except* the ability
> to declare an action invalid.

Tomorrow I may play chess with a friend.  During this chess game, I could
remove my friend's queen from the board, arguing that there were no rules
preventing me from doing so.  But, I think we would both agree that that
is not possible.  Not by phyiscally modifying the board, the most common
way to take actions in chess, nor by announcing it out loud, nor by any
other method.

Similarly, it would be silly to assume that I could change the gamestate by
purporting to do so to a Public Forum.

In fact I don't even know if Rule 1-10 works.  Its action-ratification
paragraphs begins with "Any Game Action which has not been declared
invalid..." but a Game Action is "defined as any activity specified by the
rules to be a Game Action."  So, even if you took the worst interpretation
of Rule 1-10, that everything is automatically valid, I would argue that
it's not a game action in the first place, nor does it remotely resemble
any known one.

On Tuesday 11 December 2007, Josiah Worcester wrote:
> One could argue that his actions to become Grand Chancellor
> ended up editing the very rules that would allow you to object. . .

I could submit a proposal that repeals the proposal rule, and argue that
the proposal's actions end up editing the very rules that would allow you
to vote against it.  But you would correctly counter that it would only
affect future proposals, were it to pass.  The same goes for this.