Jamie Dallaire on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:30:20 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] RFC: Admissions reorg

On Dec 11, 2007 8:49 AM, Daniel Lepage <dplepage@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Request for Comments: Proto-prop for reorganizing admissions
>
> {{
> __ Amending Admissions __
>
> Amend r1-4 to read:
> {{
> A Player is an Outsider who consents to be governed by the rules,
> fulfills all requirements for continued playerhood specified by the
> rules, and has become a Player in a manner specified by the rules.

how about has become a player in a manner specified by the rules at the time
he became a player? otherwise someone might have a case in declaring that
none of us are actually players anymore.

also, i'm not sure about all this outsider business anymore and what it
means but is the first line in there clear on the fact that i can brush my
teeth regardless of what the rules say?

> Any Human External Force may request to join the game by posting a
> message to a Public Forum containing a request to become a Player and
> a uniquely identifying name that e wishes to be known by.
>
> Any player may Ratify or Reject such a request within 10 ndays of its
> being made. The External Force making the request becomes a Player as
> soon as the following are true:
>  * At least two ndays have passed since the request was made
>  * The request has been Ratified by at least two player
>  * Fewer than two players have Rejected the request.

I very much like the fact that a player does not become a player
automatically and thus can only mess with the gamestate in very limited ways
until granted access explicitly.

i would be in favour of maintaining that wording rather than switching to
the support mechanism. player joining just seems like such a fundamental
rule while support/objection might be a little bit more volatile, and i'd
hate to have to change the joining rule every time anything happens to the
other. but that's a minor detail.

> A Player may cease to be a Player by Forfeiting the game; this must be
> done in a Public Forum unless there are no working public fora, in
> which case he may notify the Player he most recently knew was
> Registrar privately instead.
>
> No restrictions may be placed on when a player may forfeit; any player
> may forfeit the game at any time (regardless of any timekeeping device
> used in the game).
> }}
>
> Create a new rule, numbered 1-5:
> {{
> __ Names __
>
> Player names must consist of between 1 and 64 characters from the
> following list:
>        • Letters of the alphabet
>        • Underscores (_), dashes (-), or apostrophes (')
>        • Decimal digits
>        • Spaces
>
> For the purposes of identifying players, and determining uniqueness of
> names, the following conventions are to be used:
>        • Uppercase letters are to be considered equivalent to their
> lowercase counterparts, and vice-versa.
>        • Sequences of one or more consecutive spaces are to be considered
> identical.
>        • Leading or trailing sequences of spaces may be disregarded or
> introduced.
>
> Where a player's name might be ambiguous with other grammatical forms,
> it may be surrounded by double quote characters (") to differentiate
> it from surrounding text.
>
> A player may change his name at any time, unless otherwise prohibited,
> by posting a message to a Public Forum, stating his intent to do so,
> and clearly stating both his "old" and "new" names. Such name changes
> take effect upon recognition by the Registrar.
> }}
>
> Renumber rule 1-9 to 1-6, rule 1-6 to 1-8, and rule 1-8 to 1-9.

i don't mind reordering the rules, personally, though i'm very much in
support of bobthj's sequential numbering idea which would make all this
moot.

but i must say that when i read this i thought you were just being cheeky
and moving the rule currently known as 1-9 around 3 positions and back to
1-9 in the end. if you actually want to change the sequence i think you need
to word this more clearly.