Aaron Coquet on Wed, 21 Nov 2007 18:51:30 +0100 (CET)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Joining B Nomic

I was just thinking that.
There is a theory (posted in alt.fan.douglas-adams as a sig) that we are all
figments of Jacob's imagination.
However, If we were all figments of someone else's imagniation, we wouldn't
exist.
This email shows that I exist, as it is not published to someone's
imagination, but rather to a mailing list.

given that (1),(2) and (3) are true, (4) cannot be.
If Nothing is known outside of the universe, and sentient beings can only
exist in reality (which is contained within the universe), then the Universe
cannot be a figment of your imagination, because then your imagination would
be outside of the Universe, and since you are more than your imagination,
you are outside the universe. I am replying to (a reply to) an email from
you, which shows that you exist.

Thus, all 4 of your assertions are not true. Sorry.

On a side note, I find it amusing that so much effort is put into "Proofs of
uniqueness" which MAY OR MAY NOT BE required by the membership test.

--
Aaron C

On Nov 21, 2007 9:27 AM, 0x4461736864617368 <bnomic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that email proves you don't exist.
>
> Justin Ahmann wrote:
> > I (e-mail address quesmarktion@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) would like to join B Nomic
> under the name of Codae.  I would also like to submit my proof of uniqueness
> from all other known sentient beings to the Membership Test:
> >
> > (1) My imagination is not reality.
> >
> > (2) Nothing is known outside of the Universe.
> >
> > (3) Sentient beings can only exist in reality.
> >
> > (4) The Universe is a figment of my imagination.
> >
> > If a sentient being is known, then, by (2), it is in the Universe.  By
> (4), it is therefore in my imagination, which by (1) is not reality.
>  However, this means that the sentient being would, by (3) be unable to
> exist.  If it is unable to exist, it does not exist.  Thus, there are no
> known sentient beings, and I am unique from all 0.
> >
> > Q.E.D.

Aaron C
"H. P. Lovecraft is Rock and Roll" -- Neil Gaiman
Don't Panic!