Antonio Dolcetta on Thu, 2 Aug 2007 13:24:24 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] consultation 30 (assigned to Peter)

On 2 Aug 2007, at 02:03, Peter Cooper Jr. wrote:

> "Geoffrey Spear" <geoffspear@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> I submit the following as a Consultation:
>>
>> {{
>> True or False: a piece of paper can consent to X if a human being has
>> written on the piece of paper "I consent to X".
>> }}
>>
>> Argument: The Thompson-Gale Law Encylcopedia says "Consent is an act
>> of reason and deliberation. A person who possesses and exercises
>> sufficient mental capacity to make an intelligent decision
>> demonstrates consent by performing an act recommended by another.
>> Consent assumes a physical power to act and a reflective, determined,
>> and unencumbered exertion of these powers."  A sheet of paper is
>> capable of neither reason nor deliberation, and as such can
>> consent to
>> nothing.
>>
>> This is Consultation 30.  I assign it to Peter.
>
> I rule FALSE.
>
> Reasoning:
> Basically, what the Supplicant's argument says. I have seen no
> evidence that a piece of paper can consent to anything.

I'm not convinced I actually *need* the paper to "consent" to pull
the one man agreement off. The sheet of paper thing was just waving
of hands. The exploit is based off the weak definition of "External
force" as "An External Force is anything which exists independently
of the game."

consider the following: i have an imaginary friend called "Oinotna".

Oinotna is an external force

I create an agreement between me and oinotna...