Andreas Domfors on Thu, 25 Jan 2007 15:49:19 -0700 (MST)

[s-d] Draft proposal: Legally binding contracts

As this is my first piece of legislation, I'm open to suggestions.
This might lead to some more book-keeping for the administrators, but
I think it can have some creative applications.

Create a new rule called "Legally binding contracts"
{{
There exists a type of Game Documents called "Contracts". Contracts
consist of the following:
* statements regarding the future state of the game which are
collectively known as Trigger Statements.
* a Transaction [[ see Rule 1-16 ]]
Any Outsider can Submit a Contract [[ see Rule 1-11 ]]. Initially, the
Contract is owned by its creator. The owner of the Contract may do the
following Game Actions:
* give the Contract to another Outsider.
* destroy the Contract.
If at any point in the game, the Trigger Statements are fulfilled, the
Outsider that created the contract automatically submits the specified
transaction as a Game Action.
If multiple Contracts should trigger at the same NTime, the shortest
Contract (comparing the number of textual characters in the Game
Document) will be triggered first. In case of a tie, the Administrator
chooses the order that the Contracts trigger in.
}}

This mechanism is more general than the commercial transaction defined
in "Crazy Eddie's House Of Fun". As an example, for a simple currency
exchange, Player A would create a contract specifying "Player B has
given me 5 mackerel" as the trigger. The Transaction would be "give
Player B 3 emps". Player A gives B the Contract, and B in turn gives A
the payment.

A few thoughts:
* Would it be useful to let any Game Object create Contracts? Though
that would require a few rule changes to allow non-Outsiders to take
useful Game Actions.
* Would it be useful to be able to submit secret contracts directly to
the administrator?

/Andreas