Joel Uckelman on Thu, 18 Jan 2007 05:23:35 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] amending: more elections

Thus spake Antonio Dolcetta:
> shadowfirebird@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >> there, I hope I've changed your mind :-D
> >
> > I'll think about it ::grin::
> >
> > Mind you, I think you're likely to get stick from at least one other
> > player - the one that complained when I proposed a first-past-the-post
> > system....
>
> oh yes.
> Well, the thing is, i couldn't really push myself to write down all that
> stuff about rankings etc. if it's just to say "we have weird voting
> systems in our nomic"
> If we want to explore voting systems, how about making a new and REALLY
> weird one instead of something tedious and ultimately useless like
> condorcet or borda (hard as it is to resist the attraction for something
> called "condorcet", that name just wins you over with assonances)

You could use Dodgson's method (but I'm not gonna help you calculate
who wins).

It's funny how nomic immitates life (my life, at least). I actually
*work* in social choice, and I'm writing a paper on committee elections
for a deadline at the end of the month...

--
J.