Joel Uckelman on Fri, 5 Jan 2007 13:43:09 +0100 (CET)

Re: [s-d] dice server testing

Thus spake Antonio Dolcetta:
> Joel Uckelman wrote:
> > I've put up a new roller for you guys to test.
> Yay!
>
> > sortn(list)    : returns list sorted by numeric value
> this does not appear to work

Typo. That should be nsort, not sortn.

> I also can't call printf (and sprintf) I suppose it has to do with the
> print output capture

No, it has to do with which Perl opcodes I'm allowing in the sandbox.
I neglected to add these. Fixed.

> > So, I'd appreciate it if you guys would try this out and tell me what you
> > think. (Yes, there will be an email version too, but not just yet.) I'm
> > interested in how usable you find it, but I'd also like if you'd try to
> > break it and do things that you're not supposed to be able to do (like
> > breaking out of the sandbox).
>
> easy stuff is easy, and you can do complex stuff in almost pure perl,
> great work!

Thanks.

http://dice.nomic.net/tmp/randroll.pl

> > 5. If anyone knows of another way to capture the output of print statements
> > besides opening an in-memory file and calling select to switch default
> > filehandles, let me know. Surprisingly, it takes several MB of memory to do
> > it this way!
>
> hmm, sounds tricky.
> you could replace the default print function with something that builds
> an array reference and pushes lines there, and only actually print it
> when you're done. (need to do that for printf and sprintf too)

I tried that, but I think it can't be done without renaming print and
friends, which I don't want to do.

> > 6. Would it be useful to wrap to 80 columns? Or to have an option for that?
> >

> I don't see great uses for this, modern mailreaders all wrap lines
> automatically

Do they really? That must be annoying.

--
J.