Joel Uckelman on Mon, 18 Dec 2006 04:03:33 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] Hello!

Thus spake "Chuck Adams":
> On 12/17/06, Joel Uckelman <uckelman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Weird. Why do they do that?
>
> It's PHP -- nuff said.  Grep for '0777' in the MediaWiki codebase if
> you really want to give yourself nightmares.

I've never been a fan of PHP, despite (or perhaps becasue of) having been
one of the developers for PHPWiki, though, as you say, this isn't a
PHP-specific issue.

> Even though I can't blame that particular case on PHP, I nonetheless
> keep thinking of porting MediaWiki to some other language, big an
> effort as that might be.  But the instant I look at the code, I just
> want to rewrite the whole thing from scratch, and figure it'd be more
> sane to hack Moin or Trac instead.

Ugh, that would be a lot of work... and probably for little gain, since
all of the MediaWiki development would continue on in PHP. You'd diverge
pretty quickly.

--
J.