Antonio Dolcetta on Fri, 15 Dec 2006 06:35:57 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] dice server enhancements

Joel Uckelman wrote:

>> I was wondering if I can have the source for bones and play around with
>> it ?
>
> Yes, I'm planning to release it under the GPL over the weekend, along
> with all of the other stuff at dice.nomic.net. It all uses the same
> library. The interface is HTTP GETs, so you can fetch randomness
> programatically if you want. (The API docs are here:
> http://dice.nomic.net/api.html. This is modelled on the API for random.org.)

That's enough to let me play with it for now.
With that kind of api it would be trivial to extend even my own
braindead script into a powerful diceroll monger.

> The email roller will change from doing the calculations itself to being
> a frontend for all of this stuff. (Though it will continue to understand
> the old syntax, as well.)
 >

>> What is it written in ?
>
> C++. The parser is in Lex and Yacc. The hash db is stored using SQLite.
> In total, it's about 3000 lines, so not so big.

I've found the original specification (and an implementation in some
obscure academical language) for the Roll language you based bones on.
I see that the author has released a new version called Troll.
I's not very different but it supports just saying 3d6 instead of 3#d6.
Are you planning to upgrade to that ?