bd on Wed, 6 Dec 2006 08:08:43 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] [s-b] Proposal: The rot sets in

shadowfirebird@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> ABSTAIN would count as a vote, surely? Meaning a player's votes would
>> apparently go negative...
>
> No, you count the numbers, and you don't put a number against ABSTAIN.
> So you only have n votes, but you can abstain as many times as you
> like.  Conversely you can spend all n votes on one proposal...
> Do you think I need to make that clearer?

Oh, I see what you mean. Perhaps it should be stated that ABSTAIN is
explicitly zero votes? Or for that matter make it just a count and have
negative mean AGAINST, with FOR and AGAINST meaning positive and
negative respectively.

>> Also, does this really mean to say we can only vote on one proposal per
>> nweek? The game is too young to restrict things like that. We had more
>> votes than players last week, after all.
>
>> In any case, I'll be voting AGAINST this, because one vote per nweek is
>> too few for now. Try again when things settle down a bit.
>
> Oh!  You know, that was an objection I had not considered?  How many
> votes do you think we should start off with, then?  If I can get one
> vote for this crazy thing just by changing that, I certainly will...!

Actually, no matter how many votes you allow, I can exploit this. It's
simple; if the most votes anyone has this nweek is N, and there are P
players, then I submit N*P+1 proposals of the form:
{{
* bd wins the game.
}}

Then I just vote for whichever nobody votes against, shortly before the
end of voting.