bd on Tue, 5 Dec 2006 14:27:59 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] Proposal: Win or Win or Win

shadowfirebird@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>> Wins are automatically granted to a player when the rules say that he
>>> has "won" or is "granted a win" or is the "winner".  No rule shall
>>> limit the number of ways that a win can be created;
>> It seems to me that later in this very rule you're trying to limit the
>> number of ways that a win can be created.
>
> Can you show me where?  It's not intended.

Also, it seems as long as the cardinality of the number of ways to win
is infinite, it's fine. For example:
{{
A player wins if they say the phrase "I win" N times in a single
message, where N is an integer greater than 10^100^100. There is no
other way to win. This rule supercedes any other rule attempting to
provide a way to win.
}}

And in any case a rule can always take precedence.

Also, what does "a given winning condition shall be optional for the
player" mean?

>>> a given winning condition shall be optional for the player.
>> Did you just say in the first sentence of that paragraph that it was
>> automatic? I'm not quite following this.
>
> Sorry, I didn't define what a winning condition was.  I meant the bit
> of the rules that says a player has "won", etc.
>

>>> If at any point it is only possible for one player to win, then that
>>> player has won.
>>>
>>> When a win occurs, winning cannot occur again in the same way in the
>>> same game week.  [[giving us time to pass a  game change.]]
>> I'm not sure about "same way" here, and "game week" should probably be
>> "nweek".
>
> "same way" seems clear enough to me.  If two people win in the same
> way I think that that is going to be very easy to spot.   For example,
> when I posted "I perform the winning action too." I was obviously
> winning in the same way that you did.  If there is any doubt if two
> winning conditions are the same I would have thought that that was a
> perfect time for an RFJ.
>
> You're right about n-week, though.

Probably a better way is to use a simple time limit for winning. For
example, only one Win may occur per nweek.