Peter Cooper Jr. on Fri, 24 Nov 2006 16:19:16 -0700 (MST)

Re: [s-d] Judgement draft

Antonio Dolcetta <antonio.dolcetta@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Umm, to explain the idea behind it i'll make an example:
>
> suppose you submit the statement: "X", further Reasoning that X
> follows from Y and Z.
>
> If the judgment is: true, then it means that yes, since Y and Z it
> must also be X. If X is "i should win", the administrator (or whoever
> hands out the wins) acknowledges that this is the official
> interpretation of the rules, and is "forced" to grant you a win.
> If the judgment is false, then the official interpretation of the
> rules is that X does not follow from Y and Z, if necessary the
> judge's Reasoning might even say that from Y and Z comes W, and if W
> is "Antonio has 15 points", then whoever grants points gives Antonio
> his points, because the rules already say so, but their
> interpretation was unclear, and the RFJ cleared it up.

Just to be even clearer, it's not the Administrator that hands out
wins or points. The Administrator just tries to update public displays
with what the rules have already done. If the Administrator is
mistaken, generally then a CFJ would be issued, and if the Judge
determined that the Administrator was wrong, then he would update the
public displays to reflect actual reality, instead of what he thought
was reality.

That is, the Administrator saying something doesn't necessarily mean
that it's true.

(Of course, sometimes the Administrator was just genuinely mistaken
and missed something, so one might want to just ask the Administrator
if e missed something before just submitting a CFJ on it.)

> Is it really necessary to explicitly give the judge the power to
> modify the gamestate ?

Probably not. In a prior version of the rules, a CFJ *was* a Motion
just like a Proposal or Tweak, and the judge just determined if the
Motion passed or failed. I think I like this better, though, although
I'm not sure why. Maybe it's just different, and thus I want to try
it.

--
Peter C.