Mark Walsh on Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:07:35 -0600 (CST)

RE: [s-d] Re: [s-b] [auto] Triller votes

On: 2/19/06 1:51:55 PM comex sent:
> Subject: [s-d] Re: [s-b] [auto] Triller votes
>
> > Motion 360/0: p355, again                              : Against
> > The Static Ability of Rule 10-10 constantly changes the
> > game state, albiet periodically. This change precludes that.
> > I disapprove.
>
> Rule 10-10 changes the game state once per player per period.  In what
> way is that a constant or indefinite change?

Ok, I'll clarify my objection, for what it's worth.

Your Proposal has too many connotations of the various terms to seem
viable to me.

The Rules have the static ability of always applying (unless specified by
another Rule). A Player's Soul in the possession of said Player is
'always equal to ...' is a Static Ability of the Soul/Player combination.

The applicable definition of 'static' from my Webster's is "characterized
by lack of movement, animation or progression." There are myriad
examples of this usage in the Rules and Ordinances of the Game.

I'll cite the two most applicable definitions of 'constant' next, which
can be translated to the adverbial form:

2) "Invariable; Uniform."
3) "continually occurring or recurring."

At first glance, these two definitions are polar opposites. Converted
 to the adverbial form the difference is not so clear; This allows
for misinterpretation of intent of a clause describing static effects.

IMHO, the proper method is to limit the scope of static effects
locally and not globally.

A phrase such as:

"While a Room is Internally Lit, its Lighting
Level is increased by one."

can be delimited by stating:

"When a Room changes from being Not Internally
Lit to being Internally Lit, its Lighting Level is
increased by one."

This implements a local limitation on the specific
value or attribute without limiting the static
ability of other game altering clauses to a single
iteration.

It's all a question of symantics, but I'm a lot more
comfortable with this method.

Triller