Daniel Lepage on Mon, 26 Dec 2005 12:22:49 -0600 (CST)

Re: [s-d] Re: HH Actions

On Dec 25, 2005, at 5:48 PM, Peter Cooper Jr. wrote:

Chris Le Sueur <thefishface@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
I argue that the outcome of neither of these Transactions can be
determined with finality. If the transaction were repeated with the same
starting gamestate, the outcome could be different.

Discuss. ;-)

Well, I'm going to argue for this scam, since I'm the one who tried
it. :)

Sure it can be. If it would be legal for one to take the Game Action
as specified (and it is), and the assertion would be true at that
time, then the actions occur. It can be determined with finality and
certainty whether the actions succeed: we just have to try them in
order to see. Rule 1-7 doesn't say that we have to know whether or not they
will succeed before we try them. And besides, how could one predict
the future anyway?

Rule 1-7 talks about whether the actions "would be" legal and the assertions "would be" true. This implies that you have to be able to determine this *before* you can start taking the actions, which is impossible with the random actions.

I was afraid something like this might happen when I wrote the
transaction rule, it just hadn't occurred to me until recently that
the key was in exploiting actions with random chance.

I thought that was the point of the bit about "determining with finality". What else does that prevent?

--
Wonko

"Write a wise saying and your name will live forever"
     -Anonymous