Daniel Lepage on Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:55:58 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [s-d] The idea of a chess-subgame

On Sep 28, 2005, at 9:41 PM, Dan Schmidt wrote:

I had an idea for a chess subgame thingy. It would be
a normal (By nomic standards) game of chess except
that rather than have one player control a side each
player is a Piece. So one player would be a Pawn, and
another would be a Knight, and so on.

Any thoughts?

Mostly, I'm thinking it would suck to be a Pawn.

Which is really the fundamental problem with many of the subgames we've had so far. Some of them allow players to grow stronger and more powerful. The House is, at the moment, a good example of this: I'm a lot more powerful than most people, just because all Talismans cost Genechips, and I have an absurd number of those. While this can be fun for the powerful players, it's not for the weaker ones, who have little hope of contending with the higher-level players, and who in some past subgames had little hope of advancing to higher levels either, since the powerful players could just swat them to keep them down.

On the other hand, games that don't allow advancement get boring. Political Go and Tiles are good examples of this - they were played incessantly for a few nweeks, but then they just died, since they never really went anywhere. Tiles didn't even reach its own expiration date.

So what we really need is a subgame that doesn't allow one or two players to take over the world, but also doesn't get old after a few nweeks.

One way to do this would be to come up with an extremely well-balanced game that had many opportunities for rule changes. The balance keeps players from taking over completely, while the frequent rule changes save the game from boring repetition.

Another would be to make a game that *ends*. This solves the first problem because it doesn't matter if somebody becomes invincible. It just means that they'll win the subgame, and then we'll start over. Meanwhile, it won't get old after a couple of nweeks just because it won't live that long.

I'm thinking about ways to modify the Haunted House to incorporate this vision. First, the overly complex bits would have to go. The combat in particular is more effort than it's worth. I'd prop to scale that back. Perhaps, remove all the damage, and just make it a way for players to grapple with each other in order to prevent actions. The Talisman purchasing system also needs to change. I'm thinking of redoing the prices in terms of House-specific currencies, and periodically given equal amounts of these currencies to all players.

I also think that a "turn-based" approach would help. Each Checking Period would be one player's Turn. This means that they get special powers and abilities, for the duration of their Turn. So then the game turns into a bunch of small games: every Checking Period (or two?) the game for one player is to figure out how to accomplish the most using eir extra powers, and the game for everyone else is to stop whatever crazy scheme e comes up with.

I think this will fit into both schemes above: the rotating nature of power will keep any one player or group of players from dominating the game, while the changing power structure will keep the game interesting, and the various turns will turn into minigames with clear endings.

The prop won't come out for a few days, though, since I'm rather swamped at the moment (as, I gather, are many people).

--
Wonko

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
  -- Ford Prefect