Daniel Peter Lepage on Mon, 8 Aug 2005 12:49:55 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [s-d] RE: [s-b] [auto] Wonko votes

>> Motion 207/0: "Pious Proctor, Pass the Peas, Please.: : Against
>> I think I mentioned earlier that I'm voting against any prop if I can't
> figure out how the title relates to the prop. Also, I don't think
> gibberish
> errors should cause the prop to fail; they just negate the prop's effects.
>
> My intent was to simplify the reading of rules, making them more explicit.
> Peas was an inference to proposals. It stinks that a player can be awarded
> for a failure to act IAW the rules.

What do you mean by "a failure to act IAW the rules"? It's impossible to
act without being in accordance with the rules, by definition. The rules
don't require that every prop defining the Gibberish word also set a new
one; they just mention that props that don't won't have any effect.
Submitting such a prop is perfectly legal, and in fact could be a clever
strategy - you submit the prop now, nobody realizes it has no effect until
too late, you get the points for the prop passing, and then you don't need
to come up with a new prop idea because you can propose the first one
again.

>> Motion 224/0: Wonko Wacked Worthy Word Work            : Against
>> I did not "whack" this word work, I just redid it. It's still in the
> rules right now, because the way a player takes possession of a Soul is by
> picking it up, which can only be done to Carryable Household Objects in
> the
> same room as that player.
>>
> A good point, and I see it now. But it was too convoluted to catch without
> guidance.
> Again, making things more explicit was my intent.

Being explicit is good, but not at the cost of generality. I want Souls to
be Carryable Household Objects for all intents and purposes; this prop
would make them a special case. For example, imagine I have a tool that
lets me pick up any Carryable object in the Front Hall, regardless of
where I am. Then I can grab Talismans, sleeping players, etc., but I can't
grab Souls, because of this prop. The rules describing my tool, therefore,
need to specifically mention Souls or else I can't use it properly. The
resulting convoluted descriptions will negate any clarity gained by this
prop.

--
Wonko