Daniel Lepage on Sun, 31 Jul 2005 23:41:20 -0500 (CDT)

[s-d] Re: [s-b] [auto] EugeneMeidinger submits p213

On Jul 30, 2005, at 9.53 PM, automailer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

EugeneMeidinger has submitted a new Motion, p213.

---------------------------------
Motion 213/0: Head  of minister execution.
A Proposal by EugeneMeidinger
Last modified on nweek 95, nday 3

Add the following section to rule 4-1:
{{
== Head Minister ==
The Head Minister of a Ministry is the person who has been a minister of that ministry the longest. The Head Minister is in charge of delegating responsibilities of that Ministry. When referring to the Head Minister, The word "Head" may replace or be placed after the "The" in the title. If the ministerial name lack a "The" then the word "Head" may be placed before the title.
}}

Create the following rule in section 10:
{{
== Awesome failure ==
If as a result of combat a player rolls a 1, 2, 3X or 3X-1, where X is that player's strength then The Head Super may alter in amount any of the following belonging to the two players involved in combat:

 *Genechips
 *Amplitude
 *Talismans
 *Stats
 *Skills

}}

A few changes I'd like to see. First, I think you should note that the Head Super is encouraged to come up with a clever and/or witty explanation of why the catastrophe occurred. Second, there's no way for a player to roll a 1 or a 2 right now, since you roll 3dX. The minimum is 3.

Third, I don't like it being tied so directly to the duration of one's term as a Minister. What if, for example, Peter were The Head Minister of Change, but decided that e had too many Ministries to deal with and wanted to make me Head Minister of Change instead. In order to do so, e'd have to quit the Ministry of Change altogether. Likewise, if you then decided that you didn't like the way I did things, you'd have to get me expelled from the Ministry entirely to stop me from being Head Minister.

I think a better way of doing this would be to make it a separate thing entirely. Call it, say, a Guardian. The Guardian of Spectacular Fortune is empowered to add additional effects to extreme combat rolls; if no player is the Guardian, then no additional effects are added (or perhaps default effects are added - you trip and lose 5 health or knock the other guy over and e loses 5 extra health). Hold elections for the Guardianships, so that only players you trust with the power can take them. Use similar methods to the Ministries of yore to keep unfit or unpopular leaders out of power. If you really want to make sure that the Guardian of Household Pets is a Super, add requirements on who can apply for each Guardianship (like, "Only Supers can run for Guardian of That Other Thing").

Thoughts?

--
Wonko

In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.
      -Carl Sagan, 1987 CSICOP Keynote Address