Martin R Crowther on Mon, 4 Apr 2005 03:14:17 -0500 (CDT)

[s-d] Re: [s-b] State of Extreme Emergency

I bet this is Peters doing, he wanted to start again. :D

Anyway, I'm here - although with a constant commitment? Maybe.

I don't seem to have a recent copy [of rules] either. I frequently have one open on my computer, but since we got broadband the other day I closed all windows and can't get it to access it as history in Opera or Netscape. It just wants to open!

I'm sure if we really wanted, we could re-construct the rules from the last known (most recent) version of the rules.

Rainbow Wolfe

----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Lepage" <dpl33@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Business@xxxxxxxxxxx:B Nomic" <spoon-business@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2005 7:18 AM
Subject: [s-b] State of Extreme Emergency

I hereby recognize a State of Emergency, suggesting spoon-business as
the Forum and Peter as the Emergency Coordinator (if e's willing).

Basically, bnomic.org is now down, possibly for good. The hard drive
crashed spectacularly, and Dave describes the machine's current state
as a "$300 paperweight". The odds of recovering anything are not good,
and those of resuscitation even worse.

The mailing lists obviously still work since they're on nomic.net. I
also have a recent enough copy of the wiki that I could probably
reconstruct a fair portion of it, and I do have copies of the all the
scripts that have been running the game, so I could set everything up
again out of my nomic.net account.

But I don't have a recent ruleset copy, and that is a Bad Thing.

So I'm calling a State of Emergency.

If we can't muster enough players for that, then the game is over, and
justifiably so, because there's no point in playing this game if it's
just Peter and I.

But if there are still players out there who remember what this game
used to be, who remember the glory days of the Grid and GremBall, who
know that we're one of the longest running nomics out there right now
and refuse to let this die, and who are willing to fight to preserve
the mirth and mayhem that we've always been so proud of, then we can
keep this game alive. We have web space, we have mailing lists, we have
ideas; all we need is player commitment.

This also might be a good time to ponder the problems of the game - why
has activity dwindled so much of late? What could be done to make the
game more interesting?

We have a lot of crap in our rules, and now we have a reason to get rid
of it all and make ourselves an exciting game again.

So, who's willing to help revitalize this game?

--
Wonko

"How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?"
-Charles De Gaulle