Peter Cooper Jr. on Sat, 26 Feb 2005 09:11:08 -0600 (CST)

[s-d] Re: Judge Assignment: 15 points for DOOM!

Daniel Lepage <dpl33@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Hmmm. It looks like the rule describing how the Upper House can rule
> on CFIs got replaced by an appeals-oriented version without anything
> describing what happens when a CFI reaches them without an appeal.

I figured it must have been something like that.

> I would interpret this to still work the way it used to, though, on
> the following grounds:
>   * Given the standard english meaning of remanded, the Upper House is
> now the judge of the CFI itself.

The definitions of "remand" that I looked up all mean "to send
back". So, it sounds to me like it's going back to the Upper House
again for another attempt at a ruling.

>   * Since the Upper House is a collection of players, that collection
> of players is now collectively the Judge of the CFI.
>   * The Judge is required and empowered by the rules to judge this
> CFI; hence the collection of player is as a unit empowered to issue
> judgment.
>   * There is only one reasonable way of getting a group of people to
> issue a single decision; hence, every member of the Upper House should
> submit a judgment, and once the allotted time for judging the CFI has
> passed, the most popular judgment will be the House's judgment.

It seems to me that another reasonable way is to randomly pick a
person to handle the decision. This is, in fact, how the judgement
gets handled in the first place.

Having the committee handle it might run into the issue of how you
reconcile everyone's idea of what the Outcome should be.

> This is consistent with the way the House worked prior to its
> rewording, and is also consistent with the wording and spirit of the
> rules.

It could be within the wording and spirit, but saying "we changed the
rules and we want to work the way it did before we changed the rules"
seems like a dangerous thing to say in a Nomic.

But, since I don't want any accusations of trying to abuse the power
of being the Minister of Justice, let's do it your way. Iain, bd, and
Personman should submit rulings too, and we'll try to sort out the
mess from there.

As a side note, I think that the judging system needs some revisions
anyway... Right now, I think that a judge could issue an Outcome that
removed all the rules about appealing, and could probably set emself
up as the Supreme Dictator of B Nomic. Since I have little experience
with Nomic judging systems, I'm afraid that I'd mess it up even more,
and apparently you guys have an idea of how it used to work and like
that, so I'll let somebody else Prop the changes.

--
Peter C.
"What does that mean?"