Daniel Lepage on Tue, 7 Dec 2004 18:04:33 -0600 (CST)

Re: [s-d] Re: [s-b] [auto] ?Rodney submits p1958

On Dec 7, 2004, at 4.19 PM, Jeremy Cook wrote:

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 12:21:42PM -0800, Dan Schmidt wrote:
Who said anything about not liking the pointlessness?

Mel Gibson can be elected because he's not Mel Gibson
until he is elected.Mel Gibson can't be relected
though.

If CFJing Mel Gibson affects everyone, reelecting a new Gibson
also affects everyone. An action affecting a player isn't
precisely defined anywhere: I would say that reelecting a
Minister targets the Ministry, not the Player.

Anyway, the prop currently makes an exception for actions that
cause Gibson to no longer be Gibson, so he could be reelected
anyway.

Reelecting em isn't an Action, because it's not taken by players.

Likewise, e'd still gain and lose points for proposals, e'd still lose eir tomatoes if e didn't pay maintenance, etc.

But we'd have lots of CFIs about whether or not various actions "affect" Mel, or "affect" other players. For example, players can pay bandwidth to create proposals; this doesn't directly alter the players themselves, just their belongings. Does it "affect" the owner, since e now has more props associated with em? Does it "affect" me, since I now have more props I need to vote on?

I disagree that most of the game is pointless. Most of the game has a well-defined point, namely that of amusing us and being fun, and while this prop is somewhat amusing, I don't think this prop is amusing enough to counteract the irritating CFIs and scam attempts it will undoubtedly cause.

--
Wonko

In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.
      -Carl Sagan, 1987 CSICOP Keynote Address