Jeremy Cook on Wed, 3 Nov 2004 18:31:18 -0600 (CST)

Re: [s-d] Re: [s-b] CFI: All is Not Made Right.

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 07:01:24PM -0500, Daniel Lepage wrote:

> On Nov 3, 2004, at 6.50 PM, Jeremy Cook wrote:
>
> > Additional comment by Plaintiff:
> >
> > In the BabelFish example, there is genuinely no way of telling whether
> > the translation claim is true. In this example, prior to the second use
> > of r699, there is no possible justification for these actions. If
> > Wonko's claim that he couldn't tell whether those actions were legal is
> > true, at that moment he could not possibly have understood the Game;
> > but
> > his post indicated that he was perfectly coherent, and so there's no
> > possibility that the claim could be true.
>
> What you're claiming is that you can read my mind, in effect.
>
> You have no way of knowing whether I thought my actions were legal, and
> I see no grounds for the claim that if I couldn't tell, then I must be
> stupid. In fact I did believe my actions to be legal, as a result of my
> argument involving The Voice.
>
> Even if you disagree with me that The Voice effectively can't
> distinguish actions from anything, I definitely did believe at the time
> that the argument was valid and my actions were legal.
>
> Besides which, you have no idea what else I might've been thinking
> there. Perhaps there's some other hole that I think would legalize my
> actions, and I'm just choosing not to mention it yet. Perhaps I had
> taken some strange drug or been hit on the head in such a way that I
> was convinced anything I did would be legal.

You're missing the point. I'm not arguing what your beliefs at the time
were. I have no way of knowing that. I do know that you are capable of
realizing, before the second use of r699, that those actions were not
legal, regardless of whether you did in fact realize it.

> Hell, for all you know, I'm not really a person, but actually fifty
> people sharing a single email account, and one of my fifty people is
> kind of dumb from time to time.

by the way, you're tough to fight in a CFI.

Zarpint