Daniel Lepage on Fri, 22 Oct 2004 00:34:53 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [s-d] Re: [s-b] Nweek 71 Ballot

On Oct 22, 2004, at 1.14 AM, Jeremy Cook wrote:

I didn't realize this was such a big time issue for you, although the
Ministries will start rotating soon. If you add a comment field, I'll be
fine with turning the whole thing over to the Wiki until I build an
email interface myself. That way I can put "yeah" in the comment field.

Ok, I'll try to get that in by this weekend.

But I still dream of a lynx with multiple screens and a bookmark window, and that allows macros that would, for instance, let me program a key to
download and display an image, or move around with greater ease.

That'd be quite cool, but I do think that some things are made vastly simpler with graphical interfaces - some things are just easier to do when you can see what you're handling.

Also, I'm afraid I can't agree that vi is the greatest human creation
in all history. I'd go with the wheel, and then bubble-wrap. After that
comes the Apple G5 Laptop, sliced bread, and warm slippers. I'd put vi
pretty low down, as it ranks almost as poorly as Windows in terms of
helpful documentation and intuitive commands... vim is pretty good,
though. I still tend to use emacs for most things, because I have that
sort of processor power to waste, and it's nice to be able to browse
files, send email,  recompile my operating system without ever needing
to suspend my text editor :P

There's an Apple G5 laptop?? No way!

Well... when I say there is one... I don't mean 'is' as such... that's perhaps too strong a word... I mean something a bit closer to... well... 'is not'.

A guy can dream, can't he?

And you have to include putting butter on warm bread ahead of sliced
bread.

Only on wheat bread - I find that white bread is better complemented by grape or strawberry jam.

Usually I mean 'vim' by 'vi'. I agree that vim is much better.

Mostly I'm just irritated by vi's complete lack of helpful things that would be so easy to add - the first time I used it, it took me half an hour just to figure out how to quit, and I had to ask for directions before I figured out how to access the help files. And I didn't find the help files all too great.

vim, on the other hand, launched with a big block of text in the middle saying things like 'type :q<enter> to exit! type :help<enter> for on-line help!'.

And I would be totally fine if bubble wrap entirely disappeared today.

A reasonably cheap alternative to styrofoam squiggles? That comes with a premade noisemaker, and that can occupy young children for hours? Truly a wondrous thing this is.

--
Wonko
Good-bye. I am leaving because I am bored.