Daniel Lepage on Sun, 1 Aug 2004 20:23:45 -0500 (CDT)

Re: [spoon-discuss] obsolete wiki pages

On Aug 1, 2004, at 7.56 PM, Jeremy Cook wrote:

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 07:40:36PM -0400, Daniel Lepage wrote:

On Aug 1, 2004, at 6.06 PM, Jeremy Cook wrote:

Anyone have a problem with removing from the Wiki the Body Of
Philosophy,
which no longer exists, or the rules reset proposals?

I'd like to keep the Rules reset props, if you don't mind. I think
there are some good things in some of them, and I don't think we're
nearly as close to an adminless game as we ought to be.

True. We could make another minister to do the recognition you've been
doing, you know, and then we'd have an adminless game (though we'd
probably want to split it up, or set up a rotating system).

The whole point of recognition is to ensure that everything gets put into public displays. At the moment, I'm the only one who can edit the database directly, so for now I'm the only one qualified to recognize rule changes, card changes, etc.

What I'd really like to do is become sort of a Minister of History. Other people could write code to display current proposals, count votes, etc., and then at the end of each nweek they'd send me big chunks of XML containing all that nweek's props, some sort of description of all the rulechanges, etc., and I'd just put the XML stuff into the database so Historical Docs, etc. can search it all.

Then I'd also be in charge of keeping the website there, adding new functionality to the wiki if needed, etc.; I could also be what my reset-ruleset called the "Minster of Etc.", the guy responsible for kludging together quick and dirty ways of tracking new game concepts until we appoint somebody to track them properly.

That's my dream job, anyway.

As it stands, I'll probably end up doing the latter anyway as soon as new game concepts start cropping up again, but I also have to go edit the database whenever the rules are changed, or funny things happen with cards, or somebody makes a CFI, and I have to enter proposals into the wiki, etc. I also currently seem to be in charge of writing most of the automation code - so far the only player to donate code has been Phil, who wrote python modules for scanning XML proposals into python objects, and then for turning those objects into nice HTML. I am very thankful for this code.

I hope to have proposals running smoothly soon, at which point we'll be able to submit them automatically through the wiki and I'll be able to stop worrying about that.

If anyone wants to create a Ministry of Cards, btw, I'd be happy to turn the current card info in the database into whatever format you'd like and send it to you. I have on record the full description of every card, and a list (by playerid and cardid) of who holds which cards. I'd also be happy to put any scripts other people write up on bnomic.org; email me if you want more information about how things are setup.

Also, we talked at one point about making a very simple language to describe rule change. It would save me a lot of time if we had such a thing in effect - as it stands, I have to go through and edit each rule one by one, so even repealing rules gets tedious.

I propose (informally, not as a Game Object) that we use something like this:
CREATE rule
{{
__$TITLE__ {*$CHUTZPAH,($KEYWORDS)*}

$BODY
}}

REPLACE r$rulenumber
{{
__$TITLE__ {*$CHUTZPAH,($KEYWORDS)*}

$BODY
}}

REPEAL r$rulenumber

This of course leaves out a lot of things - changing just one section, doing conditional changes, etc. - but for the moment those can be done by hand, as I've been doing them. In the above, the Chutzpah and Keywords are always optional, and the title is option with a REPLACE command. The capitalization of CREATE, REPLACE, and REPEAL is important, so that it's easy for me to distinguish between commands and normal proposal text; this could also be done by delimiting the sections of 'propcode' as in
<propcode>
create rule{{ ...
</propcode>
or by doing some other crazy thing to the command words ("#create rule","::ETAERC!%:rule:", or whatever)

Anyhow, those are my thoughts. Comments? Ideas?

--
Wonko

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors."
     -Plato