Baron von Skippy on Fri, 19 Mar 2004 21:32:55 -0600 (CST)

Re: [spoon-discuss] Comments

>BvS opined:
>
>> -But WMDs prevent major wars. There hasn't been an all-out war
>> between major powers since 1945, because of mutually assured
>> destruction.
>
>Bear in mind that since the emergence of world powers in the sixteenth
>century, there have only been three all-out wars between them.  And
>each of them was preceded by a period of international alignment into
>two opposing factions, advancing much faster than normal in military
>technology as well as sheer quantity of arms.  Cold wars turn hot as
>easily as deterrence turns to brinkmanship.

-I think we have different notions of "all-out." There have been dozens if not hundreds of wars between European states since the Peace of Westphalia (which was in 1638, and established the recognition of states by other states). What I mean is that the United States, Russia, China, France, Britain, and Israel (let's assume that "major" means "nuclear," for the time being) have not had a war between themselves since 1945, despite representing about three and a half rival groups. Wars with and through surrogates, yes, but not direct. The threat of utter devastation is enough to deter wild behavior.-