Bill Adlam on Tue, 16 Mar 2004 17:42:38 -0600 (CST)

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] finance and such

Zarpint wrote:

> 10000~ may be referred to as a Myriad. (G* 10000)~ may be denoted
> "G??",
> where G is a real number.

If you're going to go the whole hog and make it any real number, why
not go two whole hogs and make it any complex number?

> All Players should be able to easily find out the amount of Tildex
> they possess
> by consulting an available public display.

Does 'public' imply that players should also be able to see each
others' wealth?  They will anyway, but it's good to be clear.

SkArcher commented:

> I *strongly* suggest that you alter this to be a basin with a
> certain,
> large, but finite number of ~
>
> The problem with the implicit creation of any monetary resource is
> that it
> leads to inflatory situations, given the theoretically infinite
> amounts
> available.
>
> Given that this *is* Nomic, I would assume the worst.

A sensible warning, but I don't see anything wrong with inflation (in B
Nomic), indeed it could be quite exciting.  A reasonable goal would be
Germany 1923-4, or, even better, France 1793-4.

Infinite inflation would be bad, though, so I'd recommend limiting the
basin's output per nweek to, say, twice the maximum it printed in any
previous nweek.  It would also be wise to take care before making
anything available to players at a fixed cost, especially if there is
no limit on supply.

Sagitta