Bill Adlam on 18 Feb 2004 22:39:55 -0000

[spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Prop: kickbacks?

Those steel toes feel too strong to me.  Removing the 'specific
proposals' part means it deals with all past, present and future votes
in a general way.

Discrimination based on voting actions includes new philosophies that
require their adherents to vote in certain ways to get bonus votes, and
anything based on Activity.  Furthermore, anything that affects the
success or failure of proposals can discriminate indirectly by denying
a player contrary vote points e would otherwise have received.

The wording is a little strange too.  A proposal can't specify or call
for discriminatory effects, but by implication it can still have them.
In which case there's nothing to stop those effects occurring (and
possibly giving the author more than 20 points).  Is the 20-point fine
meant to be imposed once when a potentially discriminatory proposal
passes, or does it happen every time any player is actually
discriminated against?

Perhaps it would be better to only forbid effects that discriminate
according to players' voting history up to the point the prop passed.
You could allow an exception for effects that depend only on Activity,
or narrow the prohibition to effects that depend on what the vote was.

Sagitta