David E. Smith on 18 Feb 2004 01:48:53 -0000

[spoon-discuss] proto-prop: quorum

I proto-propose:

{{__Voting Flags Redux__

Add to Rule 15, Section B, to the list of optional vote flags:

{{

* Open: In addition to any other eligible voters, the Administrator may
  vote in this Poll.
  [[ Because really, what's a ruleset without Admin backdoors? :) ]]

* Really Wide Open: Any entity capable of being a Player in B Nomic
  (including but not limited to The Administrator, Outsiders, and Lost
  Souls) may vote in this Poll, subject to a limit of one vote per
  Outsider.
  [[ I have no idea why we would ever need or want this. I'll probably
  take it out later.]]

* Quorum: A Quorum Poll must specify a minumum number of voters (known as
  a "target" or "quorum target"). If no number is specified, that number
  is equal to one-half of the number of Players in B Nomic, rounded up.
  If, at the end of a Quorum Poll (whether that end is reached by a time
  limit, Short-Circuit, or otherwise), there have not been at least at
  least as many votes cast by eligible voters as the specified target, the
  Poll continues until the required number of eligible voters have voted. This
  subsection explicitly takes precedence over other sections of this rule
  specifying the duration of a Poll.

}}

In Rule 23, replace "Concealable Imperial Poll" with "Concealable Imperial
Poll, with a Quorum Target of 5".

}}

The intent of this is, natch, to help ensure an active population. The
wording of the Quorum section is a bit weighty, and I'm sure there's an
easier way to specify it. I just don't know what that is.

Opinions plzkthx.

dave

--
David E. Smith  dave@[technopagan.org|bureau42.com|whatisay.com|mvn.net]
The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me?