Zarpint Jeremy Cook on 21 Jan 2004 06:43:48 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Chess

That *crackle* wouldn't work:

"Any action indistinguishable from a legal action is legal."

Zarpint
The Style Police

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Glotmorf wrote:

> Add to this that chess-move-calculating software can't be used
> by either party, and I'll take you up on it.
>
> 						Glotmorf
>

> On 21 Jan 2004 at 0:19, Daniel Lepage wrote:
>
> > I can't recall if anyone's ever used the r814 (Offers) before. So
> > without any precedent to go by, I'm gonna see if I can write one up.
> > Here's my best try; if nobody can find fault with it, I will submit it
> > at the beginning of the next nweek:
> >
> > {{
> > __Pawns at Dawn__
> >
> > Any Player who is a member of INH may accept this Offer; no other
> > entities may. The player who accepts this Offer is herein referred to
> > as the "Opponent". The player who submitted this Offer is herein
> > referred to as "Wonko".
> >
> > Wonko and the Opponent will, through private emails, conduct a standard
> > game of FIDE chess by mail (herein referred to as the "game"). Upon the
> > completion of this game, the party who wins the game (the "Winner")
> > will be owed services from the other party (the "Loser"). The Loser is
> > required to perform the following services:
> > Within the first Checking Period of the first nweek following the
> > game's completion, e must give eir proxy to the Winner, with no
> > restrictions, as per r208. The Loser is required to cast no votes
> > during that nweek, except as the Winner allows, and may not reclaim eir
> > proxy until the first checking period of the nweek after the proxy is
> > given. (note: e may choose to allow the Winner to continue holding eir
> > proxy, if e desires; e is not bound by this Offer to take or refrain
> > from taking any actions after that point in time).
> >
> > The Contingency, should the Loser fail to give eir proxy at the
> > appointed time, or fail to adhere to the guidelines specified above, is
> > 60 points and 400 BNS, which the Loser must pay to the Winner; if the
> > Loser does not have enough points or BNS, then the Contingency is as
> > much of the above totals as the Loser can provide.
> >
> > The following rules shall apply to the game of chess:
> > Wonko and the Opponent will take moves by sending emails to each other
> > containing the moves, in any reasonable format.
> > When it is either player's turn, e shall have 10 ndays to make eir
> > move; if e fails to do so within that time, e is considered to have
> > forfeited the game.
> > }}
> >
> > --
> > Wonko
> > Award Wonko a Win.

> -----
> The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
> http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower

Zarpint            "All thy toiling only breeds new dreams, new dreams;
Jeremy Cook         there is no truth saving in thine own heart."
mcfoufou@xxxxxxxxx       --W.B. Yeats, The Song of the Happy Shepherd
grep -r kibo /     "Movements are the problem, not the answer to problems."