Baron von Skippy on 18 Jan 2004 20:27:30 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] repeal-o-prop

>It's a very long and sordid story. BvS, want to explain?

-Oh, absolutely. It all started when this one guy, who we shall refer to as "I" for no particular reason, was trying to find a formula that would make the perpetually chaotic world of pig manufacturing all appear orderly. Of course, I then realized two things - one, that pigs aren't manufactured, and two, that there was no reason whatsoever to be making a formula. So I stopped and played Solitaire on his computer for about three hours, managing to lose every game. Once I realized that the deck was missing the eight of spades, I stopped. But I'm digressing...

Anyway, I was walking around his backyard when he tripped on something and fell flat on his face. Turning around, he discovered a piece of metal sticking out of the yard. Once dug up, it turned out to be the plates from the printing machinery that had produced the Alpha, Beta, Unlimited, and Revised editions, whose disappearance had caused Wizards of the Coast to start making new cards in great quantities instead of tweaking the appearance of the old ones. Realizing that the plates were worth a bloody fortune, I sold them on eBay for 93 dollars and a piece of string. The person who purchased the plates paid promptly, so I gave them good feedback.

This purchaser, who we shall call "you" to keep this story confusing, took the plates to your office, a printing press. There, you started mass-producing "authentic" old cards. As a result, the value of cards from those sets has dropped 99%, especially since you hired a team of complete and utter geeks with nothing better to do (due to a lack of social life) to handle each card for a few hours so they all look somewhat used, making it impossible to tell the fakes from the reals, except in the case of Serra Angels - you stopped letting them handle those after one declared one of the Angels to be his girlfriend. Bit of an embarassment, that.

Anyway, that's why you should never try to get involved in pig manufacturing. It can lead to the collapse of a section of the economy.

Tune in next week when we discuss why people who make a living selling Ultima items online are smarter than you!

[[BvS]]