SkArcher on 4 Dec 2003 00:51:08 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] A three headed monkey!

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 18:44:51 -0600, Baron von Skippy <bvs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I place a stone at H7. This captures BvS' stones at G7, H8, G8, F8, and
F9, and Rob's stone at E8.

-Nice try, boys, but you are so far from right it's almost funny.
Because of my alliance with bd, those stones are protected by a link to
him at F10. I count five more liberties for those stones. Someone might
want to fix the Wiki accordingly.-

Ahh, I'm afraid it is you who is mistaken Baron. You see, its not a
_players_ stones which are captured, it is a dragons - and the dragon
formed by yours and Robs stones is NOT given a liberty by bd's stone,
because bd is NOT a mutual ally of yours and robs.

the relevant text is in the political Go rule (r1639/3) section D, and
reads

"A Dragon is a set of adjacent Stones that belong to players who are all
Allied with each other, and that are not adjacent to any other stones
belonging to a mutual ally of those players. [[This ensures that all
Dragons are of maximal size.]] If alliances are not transitive, it is
possible for a stone to be part of more than one Dragon. [[For example, if A is allied with B and B is allied with C, then in the formation AAABBCCC,
the B stones are in both the AB dragon and the BC dragon.]]

A Liberty is an empty position adjacent to a Dragon (possibly on the
interior of it). If a Dragon has no Liberties, then it is Captured."

Therefore, our moves are corect.

Have a nice day :)

-Stones can be in /multiple/ dragons. And my stones are in a dragon which is /not/ captured, that of me and bd. I think that the rule needs rewriting - your argument has a little merit, enough to make this confusing. That kind of confusion is a Bad Thing.-

There is no confusion at all. Your stones are in the Rob-BvS dragon, which has no liberties, and is therefore captured. The existence of the BvS-bd dragon has no bearing on the lack of liberties for your dragon.

I await your CFI

SkArcher