Daniel Lepage on 27 Nov 2003 18:36:46 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: spoon-discuss Digest, Vol 5, Issue 17

On Thursday, November 27, 2003, at 12:15 AM, Glotmorf wrote:

On 27 Nov 2003 at 5:05, SkArcher wrote:

Given that it is certainly true that Bandwidth doesn't currently do a
great deal, that is potentially viable; however, the bandwidth limit
does stop some potential abuses.

Straw Poll: Who would Have an objection to doing away with bandwidth
_and_ a la cartes?

You might want to have a look at the archives for way back around nweek 2 or 3. Bandwidth is the only thing that keeps Wonko from submitting 20+ proposals a turn.

I am not exaggerating.

Come now, I don't think I ever made more than 18 in an nweek :)

Despite the fact that I am among the players most likely to profit from a relaxation of bandwidth restrictions, I would object to such a proposal.

In fact, I wonder if it might make things more interesting if we actually *decreased* the amount of bandwidth given to players, or somehow restricted it. Back when we had the Grid, I'd been thinking about ways to a) cut players' bandwidths further and force them to somehow collect it on the grid, or b) create a variety of weapons and tools that cost bandwidth to operate; the idea was that since Dave was doing most of the Grid tracking at that point, we should make things that, if they created complexity in one part of the game, would reduce complexity in other parts.

Also, I seem to recall that the original goal of societies was to allow bandwidth pooling, but so far that's never been needed, as we hardly ever even come near our bandwidth limits, much less exceed them. If bandwidth were tighter, we could have some very interesting game dynamics.

As for ALC props, they could be simulated with normal proposals, if the author so chooses, simply by stating something like "If, in more than half of the messages sent to the public forum containg players' final votes on this proposal, that vote was a YES and was immediately followed by a list of numbers containing 2, then do this:"

The difference here is that the scoring doesn't get funky, and it also makes it harder to set up a good A La Carte prop, so unless you have something that really needs to be A La Carte, it's not worth the effort of making it.

So I am in favor of repealing A La Carte props, since we don't actually need them, and all they do is encourage complexity.

--
Wonko