Daniel Lepage on 21 Nov 2003 01:45:00 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Stone Swapping

On Thursday, November 20, 2003, at 07:43 PM, Rob Speer wrote:

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 06:47:08PM -0500, Daniel Lepage wrote:
To Donate a stone to another player, a player must choose a stone of
eirs that is on the board and another player who already has at least
one stone on the board; the chosen stone becomes a stone of the chosen
player.

The player should have to be allied. Otherwise this provides further
incentives for an alliance (say, yours) to take on an undeclared ally
(say, SkArcher). That way he can move in key places, yet transfer his
stones into your alliance if they start to threaten your position. That
gives all of the benefits of being allied with almost no disadvantage.

But the whole point of this is that you can give stones to your enemies, even if they don't want them. I suspect that in any case where it might be advantageous for an undeclared ally to donate a stone, it would be even more advantageous for said ally to use eir move to place a new stone instead.

It also wouldn't be to the und. ally's advantage either - for the purposes of scoring and whatnot, e'd have one fewer stone out to get em points, and another fewer since e'd lose eir move for that turn.

I suppose there should be a more severe penalty for doing this though, to prevent somebody from giving all of their stones to a neutral party whenever they were about to be trapped... but I can't think of any penalty worse than having to spend eir move on it without drawing connections between PGo and things likes Points and BNS, which I think would overcomplicate things.

Perhaps the donor couldn't move in the next checking period? Or had to choose another stone of eirs to sacrifice in order to make this work?

Actually, sacrificing stones for power gives me an idea...

--
Wonko