Glotmorf on 7 Nov 2003 19:35:23 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Questions

On 7 Nov 2003 at 13:18, Daniel Lepage wrote:

> Does anyone remember if a precedent was ever set regarding the
> continued existence of objects no longer defined by the rules? i.e.,
> if we define foos, give everybody 12 foos, and then repeal the
> definition of a foo, does everybody lose their foos, or do they simply
> hang around without meaning until somebody creates a foo?

Isn't that covered by the chocolate eclair thang?

> An unrelated question: Under the current Go System, what happens if
> somebody finds an error made many weeks ago? It occurs to me that the
> Statute of Limitations doesn't really affect PGo, since Dave never
> says anything about it; so it seems that theoretically, if we suddenly
> discovered that the second move ever made had a mistake in it, the
> entire game would be wound back to the beginning, which would probably
> be a Bad Thing.
>
> Would Dave mind just announcing every now and then the state of the
> board, so the Statute covers it?

On the other hand, thanks to the email archives, we have a
record of every move made in the game, so that we can recreate
it from the beginning to any given point.  Some might go so
far as to think it's a Worse Thing if an error, which may have
resulted in detrimental effects to some players, be simply
shrugged off.

Therefore, I personally would NOT want the Statute to cover
it.

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower