Craig on 22 Sep 2003 02:27:24 -0000

RE: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] And T-Shirts For Most!

>>> Umm... was the last sentence supposed to mean something?
>>
>> Yes. By definition 2 on www.dictionary.com, a change to the text of a
>> T-shirt is only a modification if it makes it less "extreme, severe, or
>> strong."

>Okay, I see three reasons why this shouldn't work:

>First of all, nowhere does it say that the second definition of
>'modification' is what's meant; game precedent indicates that the first
>is the intent (the first given definition being as a synonym for
>'alteration').

The T-Shirt is eternal; only the text is transient. The text is not a
property of the T-Shirt, rather, it is a thing which is On the t-shirt.

>Secondly, the text on a T-Shirt is part of the gamestate, so changing
>it in any way is illegal, regardless of what "modification" means.

>And thirdly, simply stating that something is true in a proposal has no
>effect, since a proposal is a list of changes to the gamestate; "It is
>understood that..." is not a change to the gamestate.

"It is understood that..." ought, at least, to have an unofficial effect of
altering game custom if we pass it.

>All things considered, I think you'd be better off with some different
>phrasing.

>Besides which, I don't think I want a random T-Shirt. It lowers the
>value of T-Shirts if everyone has them.

Ah, but it takes some serious convincing of the rules lawyers to make yours
not say "." on it.

Also, the Admin might be corrupt enough that very few people even get a "."

 -- Teucer

"Nothing exciting here except the day the volcano went off under us and
killed everyone in a torrent of fire. Yep, pretty dull."
 -Baron von Skippy

ragnarok@xxxxxxxxx
teucer@xxxxxxxxxx

I punch Anything McGee.