Daniel Lepage on 10 Sep 2003 03:56:32 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Tunnelers discussion

On Tuesday, September 9, 2003, at 08:27 PM, Glotmorf wrote:

I also suggest a modification to the rules, namely the following
section 3.5, or some variant on it if any of this is inconvenient:
{{
__Structures__
}}

Including your later message into this...The thing that immediately comes to mind with the idea of structures reinforcing the walls is that theoretically the entire map could wind up tunneled. Maybe not from traps, but other things, worthy of note since you're defining a general class.

In particular, I wouldn't think that a pit trap would make the walls *more* stable...if anything, I'd think it would lower the life of the square.

Well, how hard would that be for you to track? I mean, if most squares have a four cp lifespan, but those with structures have different lifespans depending on their contents... I know if I were tracking that, I'd lose track of how long everything had to go; I thought perhaps making all structures affect things the same way might be easier. Also, the Pit Trap gets kind of useless if it costs that much and lasts *less* than 4 turns... Maybe if it's some other sort of trap, say, a Bear Trap or something?

You also didn't say anything about the pit trap being visible or invisible. If it's visible, people could tunnel around it.

I was thinking for now you'd have no idea. Maybe when(if) more structures are defined, you could tell that there was some sort of structure up ahead, but you couldn't tell what until you stepped in it. Then if some structures had beneficial effects - for example, the medical station could heal you, or the Gatorade stand could give you extra movement - you'd have to gamble on whether or not you wanted to risk it, based on any knowledge you had of the previous residents of the region (for example, if you beat up the Baron and are now pursuing em, it's a good bet that e put up a med station to get back some hp, but e may also have put up a Bear trap or something to slow you down.

If a structure is going to have any sort of perpetual reinforcing effect, there should be a way to destroy it.

My thought was that after one or two uses it'd just break, and the square would become a normal tunneled square.

After a bit of thought, I've revised the Trap a bit:

{{
II. Siamese Tiger Traps
Siamese Tiger Traps (STTs) are a type of structure. To construct an STT, a mole must spend 2 Movement points and discard up to three cards. The cards so discarded, instead of being returned to the deck, are put in the STT. When a mole enters a square occupied by an STT, e shall be notified of the STT (but not of how many cards were in it). E may then play up to two cards against the STT. If no card so played matches any of the cards in the STT, that mole takes damage equal to the number of cards in the STT, plus an additional point if there were three cards with different symbols in the STT, and the STT is destroyed. When a tunnel caves in on an STT, it is destroyed; however, a tunneled square containing an STT will not cave in until 6 checkpoints after it gets tunneled.
When an STT is destroyed, all cards in it are discarded.
}}

Is this too complicated? The basic idea is that you put a bunch of cards in this thing, and it drops 'em on whoever walks under it. If you put more cards in it, it's less likely to work, but it'll hit harder if it does. With cards of the same type, it's more likely to work, but then again, you're using up multiple cards of the same type, which could be used for something else useful as well. And of course, if nobody walks into it, you've just wasted a fistful of cards.

Anyone have any comments?

--
Wonko