Anything McGee on 6 Sep 2003 22:23:50 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] proto: hexago

>Each letter is associated with a row that slants down to the right;
>each number with a row sloping up to the right; every point can thus
>be described by a unique letter and number.

Aha, thank you for the clarification.  It makes sense, but I think it would be even more difficult to track than the current version.  Of course, I'm not really participating yet, so my opinion probably shouldn't hold as much weight as that of those who are participating.

>As for Go vs. the Grid, I don't believe Go was meant as a new Grid;
>it's just a different subgame that happens to be arising shortly
>after the demise of the Grid.

I see it in many ways as a temporary replacement.  Not a direct descendant, by any means, but a kind of interim point between the old Grid and whatever comes of the new one.  That isn't to say that it won't last, but that it may have been intended as something to keep us occupied until the new Grid takes off.

McGee.