Glotmorf on 2 Sep 2003 04:22:05 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] The Rainy Recognizer (Monday afternoon)

On 9/2/03 at 12:02 AM Daniel Lepage wrote:

>>I would like to point out that Glotmorf's "Hey, let's take over OrcTech"
>>not-quite-a-scam is just another gaping flaw in the society system. (Like
>>phantom voting, which STILL hasn't been fixed even though it's been a
>>problem for just about the entire history of this game. Like all the
>>various and sundry society wars. Like... well, I could go on, but any
>>reasonable person -- by which I mean basically everyone but Glotmorf --
>>can see why societies need to go.)
>>
>>Anyway, Glotmorf changes eir name to Orc, takes over OrcTech, rewrites its
>>charter. (I'll assume that at some point in the near future Glotmorf will
>>change eir name back, so I'm not gonna go through all the ugliness
>>involved in rewriting the players database table.)
>

>Since everybody seems to be acknowledging that this happened, I'll
>just assume that some Mailman bug was responsible for my never
>getting the message where Glotmorf did this.
>	Or rather, e tried to do this, and failed - Orc is, as per
>r14, a 'former player'; e is still, therefore, part of the gamestate,
>albeit one without any abilities. Thus, for Glotmorf to change eir
>name to 'Orc in a Spacesuit' is a violation of r2, which stipulates
>that all entities must have unique names.

Tsk.  Dude, r14 clearly says a former player "ceases to be a player in this game, and ceases to be bound by its rules. In addition, e ceases to be anything else defined within the scope of this game", which, I should think, includes a uniquely named object.  If the entity originally known within the scope of this game as Orc in a Spacesuit has ceased to be anything defined within the scope of this game, then e is in fact not part of the gamestate.

I consider this the fault of the wording of r14.  I would be more sympathetic about this, perhaps, if its current wording wasn't the doing of the entity originally known as Orc in a Spacesuit...

						Glotmorf
-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a blog study in Social Technology.
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower