Daniel Lepage on 14 Aug 2003 03:20:08 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Oops

On Tuesday, August 12, 2003, at 12:51  AM, Baron von Skippy wrote:

Though I don't see how we're going to be able to track 900 squares.
Movement isn't going to be the problem, I think - just *looking* at
that much space is going to be hard. We'll spend a good five minutes
each day just finding ourselves. (Before anyone calls me a hypocrite
(at least for this), yes, I am aware that I was at one point advocating
a 7200 square grid. This is the reason I decided not to propose it)

I also believe we have a grid already, defined in rule 1635. We just
aren't using it.

Yet.

-Well, it's not really that large, and there's an important distinction. I'm not talking about our old Grid. I'm actually envisioning something closer to Nomicron's Mappa, where players owned the squares and the player tracking it kept track with colors representing players. Color would have really made the old Grid easier to understand, and I think it will help here. There would be some differences - like players being on the Grid - but there would, ideally, be a lot fewer things like Rocks, Boxes, Gremlins, and Gnomes floating around, too. So it wouldn't be all that hard to track.-

Color definitely would have helped the old grid - substance by color, depth by shade, something like that - but I think we discussed that at one point and canned the idea because some people are using text-based browsers; adding colors and nifty javascript and dhtml popups and everything would have seriously impaired their ability to keep up with the game, unless we kept two parallel versions of the records, one with niftiness and one without.

Is anyone still using text-based browsers?

--
Wonko