Craig on 17 Jul 2003 05:02:02 -0000

RE: [spoon-discuss] Where do we go from here?

>>>-Oh. Well, then should they go above or below Black Ajah? Probably above,
>>I'd think. Dreadlords are commanders of the Dark One's armies, and
>>>the Black Ajah are small potatoes.-
>>
>>I agree.
>>
>>The Black Ajah seem to be even lower ranking militarily than the Myrdraal.

>-Yeah, but the Myrdraal can't channel. Really, the Black Ajah are just
Darkfriends.-

Darkfriend Aes Sedai.

>>>-I was clarifying. There isn't really a sixth level, especially with the
>>current (and in need of replacing) formula for mana regeneration,
>>>which would mean that a sixth-level channeler gets 1/(6-6)*their mana
back
>>each nweek.-
>>
>>Hey, what if we did away with this silly idea of naming each rank and just
>>say someone's a "first level Aes Sedai" or a "fifth level Asha'man"?

>-Well, up until we tried to make Drones fit in *cough* it worked fine,
because Asha'man and Aes Sedai have the levels already built in.-

"Advanced Asha'man" is not a rank in the books. At least not by about
halfway through number seven.

>>Or just make everyone equal like in my c-p-p </plug>
>-*ignores this*-

*won't let you*

>>corresponding
>>>-I'd say Black Ajah would just be a blanket term for all of them,
>>regardless of gender.-
>>
>>Probably. In the books, it is really more like a slang term than anything
>>technical.

>-Well, in the books, there aren't any Dark Asha'man because the Red Ajah
have been studiously crushing male channelers. That, and most
>people consider all male channelers to be Darkfriends.

True.

>What about Dark Asha'man? Or, if you want to be spiffy, something like
Asha'Shadar, "Guardian of the Shadow?"-

No. No trying to make up your own Old Tongue compounds. It doesn't work,
because there are no regular rules to the Old Tongue. Jordan made up bits as
he went along rather than trying for a real conlang.

>>consisting

>>>-True. But enforcing that means telling people how many Black Ajah there
>>are out there.-
>>
>>No, it means saying that the Minister of the Black Ajah gets to set a
secret
>>limit and tells applicants when it has been reached.
>>
>>The books never really say how you be come a Darkfriend. Is it an
>>application, or do they proselytise?
>>
>-I think they try to kill you and either they do or you join... in the Age
of Legends, they probably went online to
>www.darkfriend.greatlord.evl and filled out the application there.

Wow. That's really amazing.

I suppose it's inevitable... first there was the lumber cartel, and now
this.

>That reminded me of something unrelated. You know how non-US countries have
two-letter suffixes to their URLs (.uk for the UK, .fr for
>Freedom, .ch for Switzerland, .tv for some poor nation that sold its ending
to Americans who now clutter it with television crap)? Do any of
>them have a .bn ending?-

I don't think so.

Also, .tv is Tuvalu. And one of their principal exports is now domain names.
Tonga (.to) does okay, with all those go.to and similar.

What is .evl really, anyway?

 -- Teucer

"Next meeting, electroshock devices go under everyone's chairs."
 -John Cowan

ragnarok@xxxxxxxxx
teucer@xxxxxxxxxx