Glotmorf on 22 May 2003 04:33:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Ruling on CFI 1539

On 5/22/03 at 12:26 AM Daniel Lepage wrote:

>On Wednesday, May 21, 2003, at 10:38  PM, Glotmorf wrote:
>
>> Statement: The apocalypse only lasts an instant.
>> Defendant: None
>> Plaintiff: SkArcher
>> Judge: Glotmorf
>>
>> Ruling: False.
>>
>> Analysis:
>>
>> 	Plaintiff SkArcher's analysis seems focused on the sentence "The
>> period of time between the instant when Universal Entropy exceeds
>> Maximum Entropy, and the end of the nweek in which that occurred, may
>> also be referred to as 'Burning Man'" in Rule 154.  However, this is
>> the sole reference to "Burning Man" in the entire ruleset, and the
>> term is not declared to be any sort of synonym for the Apocalypse.
>>
>> 	Even if it were, the exact phrasing of the CFI does not tie it to any
>> particular Apocalypse, which means it's making a claim to a general
>> case; as a general case, the statement is still false, since an
>> Apocalypse can occur in the middle of an nweek, such as when a Win has
>> occurred (see Rule 22).
>>
>> 	Even if it did, the CFI would still be false, since it says clearly
>> in Rule 154 that the Clock is turned off in the event of an Apocalypse
>> for three wdays.  While this theoretically would result in the passage
>> of zero game time, the CFI is not phrased to apply specifically to
>> game time, and the passage of three wdays is considerably longer than
>> an instant.  Plus, "the period of time" referred to in the sentence
>> referenced by Plaintiff isn't tied to game time either, and therefore
>> must include the three wdays.
>>
>> 	I have said.
>
>The real question that needs to be addressed, then, is in which nweek
>the Apocalypse occurs. Is "the end of nweek X" part of nweek X or at
>the start of nweek X+1?

I'd say it was part of nweek X.  I say this purely because we have beginning-of-nweek events that are distinct from end-of-nweek events, that therefore there must be some point (however infinitely small it may be) that divides them, and that the Apocalypse was occurring as the result of an end-of-nweek event.

Then again, did you at any time have as much as 1000 points, thus scoring a win?  If so, the Apocalypse happened then, rather than at the end of the nweek.

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a cyber-anthropologist's blog
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower