Orc In A Spacesuit on 19 May 2003 09:01:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] The Clock is Off

From: SkArcher <SkArcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
19/05/2003 09:22:44, "Orc In A Spacesuit" <orcinaspacesuit@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
From: Daniel Lepage <dplepage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: spoon-discuss@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] The Clock is Off
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 23:16:35 -0400

Having returned from visiting with some friends in Baltimore (where it
rained pretty much the whole time), I take some actions and do some
discussion:

On Saturday, May 17, 2003, at 04:18  PM, David E. Smith wrote:

The new rules have been added already, but (as usual) I haven't yet
updated the Roster to reflect all those changes. A few new rules were
passed, Orc made my head explode again with a prop that changed about
a zillion rules, all the quote props passed. The "only one Number
Game guess per nweek" prop did pass, so Wonko can get rid of the
obnoxious (though clever) automation script.

I do so.
It was very tempting to declare that prop Fatally Flawed at the last
possible second... that would have given me a Win... oh well... :)

On the note that that's possbily abuseable, I propose the following:
{{__Oh no you don't__
Change the second sentence of setion E.5 of Rule 15 to "If a proposal
declared to be fatally flawed in this manner passes, its effects do not take
place and it is instead shelved, unless the Administrator decides
otherwise."}}

would it not be better to link the passing of fatally flawed declarations to the voting - perhaps if the prop gets over 75% of the vote then it will pass, even if fatally flawed - mind you this could have repercussions too

I still prefer democracy to making Dave do it, as i'm sure there will come to be situations when Dave won't want
to, as there is an arguement in either direction, as it were.

My first inclination was to propose a new kind of vote, a "Ramrod" vote or something, that would be identical to an affirmative vote, except that a majority of Ramrods could overrule a Fatal Flaw. But the problem with this is that even props you might want to guarantee could have undiscoverd problems, and some players wouldn't ramrod any props at all.

Orc in a Spacesuit