Craig on 14 May 2003 02:20:00 -0000

RE: [Spoon-business] Re: [spoon-discuss] Force vs. Source

>>>whole
>>>
>>>Once upon a time, those who could channel the One Power (and thereby do
>>>nifty magical stuff) banded together under the name of Aes Sedai. They
>>>devoted themselves to the study of the Power. Working together, they
>>>learned
>>>how to do all sorts of stuff. This included the creation of Angreal,
>>>artifacts which would increase the power of anyone who held them. They
>>>also
>>>made Sa'angreal, which were *really powerful* angreal. Then there are the
>>>Ter'angreal, items which use the Power to create some specific effect.
>>>Another thing they created was Heartstone, which also has an Old Tongue
>>>name
>>>that I forget. It can't be broken, and any of the One Power that is used
>>>on
>>>it it absorbs. The symbol for the Aes Sedai was like a yin-yang without
>>>the
>>>dots; the black half represented Saidar and the white half represented
>>>Saidin.
>>>
>>>Then the Dark One, a satan-like entity, started causing all sorts of
>>>trouble, and even got thirteen of the most powerful fourteen Aes Sedai on
>>>eir side working evil. A coalition of Aes Sedai, led by Lews Therin
>>>Telamon,
>>>the most powerful of the loyal Aes Sedai, imprisoned the Dark One and the
>>>thirteen Forsaken (the evil Aes Sedai who worked with em) in a prison
>>>called
>>>Shayol Ghul, held in place by thirteen seals made of Heartstone. Sadly,
>>>however, the influence of the Dark One was able to get out, and e has
>>>supporters outside of Shayol Ghul. In the struggle that occured over the
>>>imprisonment of the Dark One and the Forsaken, Saidar got tainted so that
>>>any man who uses the Power except for the male Forsaken goes mad. This
>>>included Telamon, who killed all of his family and was given the nickname
>>>"Kinslayer".
>>
>>Heartstone is called Cuendillar, I think, and you've got the colors
>>backwards - black for Saidin, white for Saidar - but overall, a very good,
>>concise summary of the background. I give Teucer one point.
>>
>-Oh, and there are only seven seals on the Dark One's (a.k.a Shai'tan,
>Ba'alzamon) prison. And you forgot one more thing. Tolkien took all those

I'd been thinking that it was another example of Jordan's triskadecophelia.
Shai'tan, btw, is both the Arabic form of Satan and the Dark One's name. You
don't say it for fear of attracting eir attention if you are good and for
fear of blasphemy if you are evil. Ba'alzamon is the bad guys' name for em,
and what e calls emself in Rand's dreams.

>ancient things - Rivendale, Orthanc, Isengard, the Shire - and DID NOT
>destroy them. Jordan blows up roughly one major city/fortress/ancient relic
>per book... okay, so he didn't actually blow up Falme, but damn did he
try.-

Well, the ents did get to tear apart Isengard.

Another possible rule for the Power: "Players may be declared as Istari. An
Istar must act cool and mysterious, and may use all One Power abilities
whenever it advances the storyline."