Craig on 13 May 2003 22:54:01 -0000

RE: [spoon-discuss] Force vs. Source

>> >You should've copyrighted it when you had the chance! ;)
>>
>> E did. Anything you write is copyrighted instantly.

>Well, he should have licenced it properly. Anyway, it was a joke on the
whole
>'Source' thing. I never read the books, though.

Basically, they are what happens if you take Tolkien, teach him to write
better, and take out the thematic elements that make him literature. Oh, and
take away his ability to keep the same enemies that failed to kill the
protagonists last time scary, so he has to keep escalating.

The important background for working with the One Power in B Nomic is this:
The True Source is a source from which the One Power flows. It has two
halves, a male half (saidin) and a female half (saidar). There are five
specialties within the One Power, known as the Five Powers. They are Earth,
Air, Fire, Water, and Spirit. They can be combined to do just about
anything. Men are better at Earth and Fire than women, but worse at Air and
Water.

Once upon a time, those who could channel the One Power (and thereby do
nifty magical stuff) banded together under the name of Aes Sedai. They
devoted themselves to the study of the Power. Working together, they learned
how to do all sorts of stuff. This included the creation of Angreal,
artifacts which would increase the power of anyone who held them. They also
made Sa'angreal, which were *really powerful* angreal. Then there are the
Ter'angreal, items which use the Power to create some specific effect.
Another thing they created was Heartstone, which also has an Old Tongue name
that I forget. It can't be broken, and any of the One Power that is used on
it it absorbs. The symbol for the Aes Sedai was like a yin-yang without the
dots; the black half represented Saidar and the white half represented
Saidin.

Then the Dark One, a satan-like entity, started causing all sorts of
trouble, and even got thirteen of the most powerful fourteen Aes Sedai on
eir side working evil. A coalition of Aes Sedai, led by Lews Therin Telamon,
the most powerful of the loyal Aes Sedai, imprisoned the Dark One and the
thirteen Forsaken (the evil Aes Sedai who worked with em) in a prison called
Shayol Ghul, held in place by thirteen seals made of Heartstone. Sadly,
however, the influence of the Dark One was able to get out, and e has
supporters outside of Shayol Ghul. In the struggle that occured over the
imprisonment of the Dark One and the Forsaken, Saidar got tainted so that
any man who uses the Power except for the male Forsaken goes mad. This
included Telamon, who killed all of his family and was given the nickname
"Kinslayer".

By the way, if you've ever played the RPG Mage: the Ascension, from White
Wolf, then you can replace the standard nine Spheres with the Five Powers to
and use the same system to perfectly mimic how the One Power works.