Glotmorf on 2 May 2003 21:10:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] NWEEK 40 BALLOT

On 5/2/03 at 11:44 AM Orc In A Spacesuit wrote:

>>From: "Glotmorf" <glotmorf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>>Proposal 1472/0: Carryable Objects and Mass (Orc In a Spacesuit)
>>
>>No.  This is unnecessary at this time.  And it's not changed from last
>>nweek.
>
>Unnecessary?  You really could say that about just about anything.  And
>it's
>not changed because no one ever said a thing negative about it.

Er...I did.  That's why it was shelved.  I said it was unnecessary last nweek too, and for the same reason: we don't need complexity for its own sake when there are so many areas where simple functionality needs cleaning up.  It's my opinion that this doesn't really enhance the usefulness and playability of the grid game as much as it gives more numbers to track, much like the more complex resource system did before.  If we want that sort of added-on complexity, we can always do it later.  I don't think we need it now.

>>>Proposal 1475/1: Societies get charters (Orc In a Spacesuit)
>>
>>No.
>
>May I ask why?  Did you even look at what it does?  Or are you just being
>spiteful and 'taking my keys away'?  I'd really think you could get past
>that.  As I've said before, it's a very-needed fix, assuming I didn't win
>and fix it with my momentary lordship.  And should Wonko's related prop
>also
>pass, my prop is still applicable, because Wonko's prop leaves one of the
>bugs still in place.

Actually, in combination with Wonko's change, your change doesn't do anything.

"A charter is text string which dictates the manner in which its society takes actions."  The society possesses the charter, not the other way around.  Therefore, unless you can somehow make a charter start its own society, this line does nothing.

"Upon creation of a society, it has a charter. If the creator of the society declares a charter upon creation of the society, it has that charter; otherwise, the charter is empty."  What if a society is created by a rule?  It would then have a charter, which, if the other line gets fixed somehow, would dictate the manner in which the society takes actions...except that the charter would be empty, and therefore the society would take no actions, even if the rules said it did, until someone proposed it be changed to something else.  Whereas the absence of a charter would not interfere with a rule.

It's not spite.  I want to take your keys away for a reason.

						Glotmorf
-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a cyber-anthropologist's blog
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower