Daniel Lepage on 21 Apr 2003 20:58:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] This is me trying to make sense of the game

On Monday, April 21, 2003, at 03:56  PM, Glotmorf wrote:

On 4/21/03 at 1:24 PM Rob Speer wrote:

[[1464/0: Good idea, but still flawed. How can you ever run an
instance's "Create" method, considering that either it doesn't exist and
therefore has no such thing, or already exists so creating it is
unnecessary?  Plus, it's using an OO rule that has these flaws:

Well, actually, I take care of that in p1463...

No, you don't... You just say that creation is said to be performed on the created object. But that then bars creation - you can't target an object with a method unless it's already there, so you can't create anything that doesn't already exist.

* Letting 2GOs (instances) inherit from 2GCs (classes), which makes no
 sense

I didn't think it was necessarily desirable to create a 2GC for a single 2GO, but I suppose it's necessary to do that in order to have the class still exist when the object ceases to...Okay, but that's a fix to the rule rather than this object.

What do you mean by a 2GO 'inheriting' from a 2GC? It seems to me that 'inherit' isn't the right word for that...

* Distinguishing "methods that can be performed 'on' an object" from any
 other properties or abilities it may have. This is unnecessary.

Unnecessary to distinguish values that can be altered from methods that can't be? Properties are local to what you call the instance; methods are part of the class.

I think e's asking about where you're going to put things like, "whenever this object is within x spaces of some other object, it loses such and such an ability", and whatnot - not Properties as their defined, but properties as in things that are true about the object. For example, where would a Siren's attractive properties be put in this scheme? Would we have to define some sort of 'checkConditions' function that triggers each time anything happens, to make sure it can? Would the player's 'Move' function have to check for sirens? There's no space in the object definitions right now for 'fun facts' about objects.

Finally, you're calling the base class "Base". So anything at all that's object-oriented can be referred to as "a Base". That's hardly intuitive, and I can think of lots of other more specific things which may want to
be called "a Base".

What do you suggest, then, as the name of the class that all other classes inherit from?

Game Object.

--
Wonko