Baron von Skippy on 21 Apr 2003 03:48:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] No, I haven't really forgotten...

Someone made a guess in the Number Game a while back -- Orc, maybe? -- but
I still can't figure out how to respond. No, really, I'm not sure what the
hell a 'distance in five-dimensional space' or whatever that rule asks
for, is.

Someone's gonna have to explain it to me in terms a five-year-old can
understand.

...dave

-The distance between two points on a plane is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of delta x and delta y. Pythagorean theorem, for those of you going "what the...?".

So, the distance in 5-d space is, through some extrapolation of the Pythagoream theorem, distance^2 = (delta v)^2 + (delta w)^2 + (delta x)^2 + (delta y)^2 + (delta z)^2, where v, w, x, y, and z are the five numbers, and delta (letter) is the real number minus the guess.

You know, this is a dumb game. The odds of winning are 3.2 million to one. If you guess right, you should just win B Nomic, given those odds. We need an equalizer or something.-

[[BvS]]