Glotmorf on 30 Mar 2003 06:11:01 -0000

Re: [Spoon-business] Re: [spoon-discuss] Lots of stuff

On 3/29/03 at 6:44 PM Daniel Lepage wrote:

>> {{ _Class System_
>>
>> There exists a collection of entities known as Second-Generation
>> Classes, or 2GCs.  2GCs can, in accordance with the rules, be used to
>> create other 2GCs or Second-Generation Objects (2GOs).  The collection
>> of 2GCs is known as the Class Set; the Class Set can be enpty, or
>> contain any number of 2GCs.
>
>That's an interesting word, 'enpty' :) It really seems stupid that we
>all use QWERTY keyboards, instead of something sensible that doesn't
>actively try to slow users down.

Yeah, yeah...:)  I submit that it's a typo and invite the Admin to fix it.

>> A.1.5. Pointer Properties
>>
>> A Pointer Property is a Property that, in a 2GO, can contain a
>> reference to a game object, or a Property or Method within a 2GO.  The
>> type of reference the Property can contain must be included in the
>> Property's definition.
>
>Wow, that looks a lot like the attribute class I'm using in my program.
>Except that I never really saw any point in 'Object Properties'; it all
>can be done with Pointers (or really, references). And I suppose the
>'Variable' bit is more expanded - I've got Numeric vars, String vars,
>and Set vars.

The general idea behind actually containing an object or a collection of objects is so that said objects are automatically created when the containing object is.  So you can create an object with an array of objects in it...like, for example, a grid object.

>> A.2. Methods
>>
>> A Method of a 2GC is a rule-permitted action that can be performed on
>> a 2GO that derives said Method from the 2GC.  The Method describes the
>> effects of the action and the circumstances under which it can be
>> performed.
>
>'Performed on'? Doesn't that suggest that abilities they can perform
>themselves aren't Methods?

Objects other than players tend to not have free will as much as situation-driven actions.  Therefore, it's not that, say, the Yeti moves as much as movement is an action that game-time-dependent events can instigate.

If this isn't comprehensively true, can you give me an example?

>Looks pretty good... So something like a Grid Square would look like,
>{
>Type:2GC
>Name:Grid Square
>Properties:
>	x - Variable (must be integer)
>	y - Variable (must be integer)
>	Substance - Variable (defaults to "Turf")
>	Elevation - Variable (must be integer, defaults to 0)
>	Contents - Collection (may only contain other 2GOs)
>} ?
>
>And are these intended only for use on the Grid? Or do you see all
>objects, like rules and proposals, becoming this sort of thing?

The grid location object would probably be something like that, yes.  I suspect that the contents collection would have a criteria on it, along the lines of only containing 2GOs with an ON_GRID_OK flag.

Rules and proposals as objects...I suppose we could, especially if they have avatars on the grid or some such, but as I said to Mr. in a Spacesuit all I did was provide a class system.  How thoroughly it's used is a separate consideration.  And it may well be that the class system will need to be modified to handle rules and proposals...though I suppose it could be used as is too.

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a cyber-anthropologist's blog
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower