Glotmorf on 26 Mar 2003 06:19:01 -0000

Re: [spoon-discuss] Re: [Spoon-business] Orcish Alcohol Tolerance

On 3/25/03 at 5:34 PM Daniel Lepage wrote:

>What if rules were Grid objects?
>
>They wouldn't *all* have to be on the Grid, but perhaps there could be
>a separate class of rules (the Levels system would be good for this),
>where these rules, call them 'Physical' rules, or maybe 'Supermutable'
>rules, occupied various Grid Squares. Players could claim them and drag
>them together, building fortresses to protect them, and armies to
>obtain them.
>
>Ministers could gain additional powers when they neared their rules;
>Rules defining unpleasant effects - Death, Curses, etc. could
>occasionally leak and curse/kill nearby players... but could be
>channeled at other players to inflict things upon them.

Hm.  A "manifestation" would have to be defined for each individual rule, and there would have to be a default manifestation for rules that don't have one defined for them, if each and every rule should suddenly be on the grid.  That way, the manifestation for death and curses rules could include some sort of, as you suggest, toxic seepage.

>Then a fight to repeal Rule 10 would not be merely an argument and some
>votes; it could be an actual fight, as the Voice's troops battle the
>armies of the pro-10ers at the gates of the 10th Fortress...
>
>Even better... what if rules were creatures? They'd wander around,
>eating, getting old, dying; you could herd them in pens or hunt them in
>the wild... captured rules could be sold on the black market... wait a
>sec... idea coming...

The idea of rules having an expiration date is a daring idea...or alternately rules could be blob-like creatures that practice division after a while (More-is-More), and can occasionally recombine.  This could throw levels, precedence and other things all to hell.

>What if we could capture rules and sell them to *other games*?!?
>
>Maybe that would just be *too* weird.

I think the Baron suggested something along those lines with regards to relations with other Nomics.  The general consensus was that (a) it wouldn't be enforcible ("Hey!  That's OUR stupid rule you're using!"  "No it's not!  We made up our OWN stupid rule!"), (b) it would require a uniformly recognized currency, and (c) no one would want our stupid rules anyway...:)

						Glotmorf

-----
The Ivory Mini-Tower: a cyber-anthropologist's blog
http://ix.1sound.com/ivoryminitower